Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Angels of Mercy

I am blessed to presently be learning about angels of mercy.

I met an extraordinary man/doctor when I went to the emergency room to be treated for my broken wrist. Granted, I was in shock and pain…trying diligently to stay present…

The doctor arrived and looked at the x-ray. He was astonished to know I had yet to receive any pain medication and took care of that over-sight quickly. He diagnosed my broken wrist and displaced bones and explained the procedure to put the shambles of my limb back together…He (so lovingly) left out the part about the excruciating pain that the Lidocaine shot would cause!

Following the shot he noticed the subtle shift in my countenance and asked what was wrong and I told him that I was just taking a minute to feel sorry for myself, but that I would snap out of it.

Throughout our visit, he continued to not just treat my arm….but he noticed ME---the totality of me---a person---mind, body and soul.

I had an appointment with this extraordinary doctor yesterday, but there was a mix-up with my chart and it did not get to his office and I sat in the waiting room for 45 minutes. (Mercury is retrograde after all and this is a snafu I contribute to that!) When I went to check with the receptionist, we realized that my file was waiting to go to another doctor! She checked with the doctor and we realized that I would not be able to see the doctor that day as I was meeting my (now former) students for lunch and I would never stand them up!

Today as I was getting my cast off---in walked the ER doctor that I did not get to see the day before, who practices in the same office with my hand doctor. (He is the shoulder guy.) He was in his scrubs and had heard my wrist doctor dictating my notes, so he came and found me! He APOLOGIZED for the error and said he had come out to the waiting room the day before to apologize, but that I was already gone! So he came to check on me when he knew I was in the office.

I am so full of gratitude for this personal touch. For the extraordinary care and concern that I am given by this wonderful physician.

What wonderful examples I am being shown of ordinary people who live extraordinary lives through the love they demonstrate to others. I am blessed.

Tell me about your angels of mercy!

No comments: